Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Lion King Film Response

Watching The Lion King was definitely like taking a trip down memory lane. I don't think I've seen that movie in years but I was surprised by how well I remembered all the details. I remember which scenes made me cry as kid and which ones made me laugh. I was an emotional child and I remember being teased for always crying when Simba is asking Mufasa to wake up. Even now, I still get choked up. I'm just better at hiding it now than I was back then. This just goes to show that no matter what Disney critics have to say, the Disney company clearly knows how to do their job. The fact that teenagers, young adults, and parents have no problem watching these movies and actually enjoy the nostalgic feeling they get from watching these movies proves these productions are worth the praise they receive. 

After reading so many articles criticizing Disney movies, it's kind of funny how easy it is to find the particular actions and characteristics that displease the critics. I still think children don't see as much into these movies like critics would have us believe but I am finding it easier to see their point of view. For example, it was easy to see how Disney does tend to give secondary characters a single trait to recognize them by, such as Zazu being the overbearing assistant to the king, just like Sebastian was in The Little Mermaid. Also, this time around I decided to pay some more attention to Scar and when his song came on, the beat and his movements definitely convinced me to give Amanda Putnam's argument another chance. The beat just sounded like something that you would find as the background music to a drag show on TV. However, there were scenes that definitely went against her argument such as when Scar still called himself Simba's uncle. Despite Scar admitting that he is weaker, he still tried to fight Simba at the end in order stay King. 

I think watching these Disney movies again is helpful because readers tend to defend Disney against its critics since they have such fond memories. Yet most people tend to go a long time before watching many Disney movies again, and they miss the scenes where these critics find their evidence. By re-watching the movies, I think many viewers would be surprised at how much concrete evidence critics have for their argument. They might put more thought into how much they want to promote Disney and the possible ideals that Disney hints at in its movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment